BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 21 September 2010

A Weekend from Hell

I was up late Friday night and Saturday at work was just plodding along quite nicely. Until the power went down. And the back up generators didn't kick in meaning the chillers and freezers (shop floor and warehouse) went down. Panic ensues. We pulled the blinds down on everything chilled and stuffed cardboard and toilet rolls in the open freezers. We emptied all the chilled counters, all the raw meat and all the hams and pates into boxes and took them downstairs and put them in the pitch black chillers hoping that the cold air would preserve them. We also cover an entire island in cardboard.

We are also dealing with customers swearing at us, shouting at us, and trying to cheat their way in to the chilled aisles. I manage to calm most of them and even get apologies from a couple of them. I enjoy practising my customer service skills and I love a good panic. The power comes back on after 2 hours.  I end up staying an hour late for the second time that week. I also agree to come in an hour early. As in 6am.

Sunday ran well considering that we had one temporarily crippled member of staff who couldn't work any stuff, we had someone pull a sickie ("I can't get my shoes on." Yes really. Turns out she had a sprained toe.) and quite a bit of overflow work from yesterday and a lot of wastage to deal with. M&B Guy was in charge and he was lovely to work with. Just a nice guy who's realistic about targets.

At this point, I'd had 14 hours sleep over the previous 4 nights, so when I got in I checked my email and I fell asleep. I slept for 15 hours straight. I did feel much better for it too. Turns out, sleep IS good for you. Who knew.

0 comments: